CCCIE builds the capacity of community colleges to accelerate immigrant and refugee success and raises awareness of the essential role these colleges play in advancing immigrant integration in our communities. Our Presidents for New American Success pledge recognizes the direct correlation between immigrant integration and more vibrant communities with higher standards of living and quality of life. With New Americans comprising approximately 25% of the student population, an increased focus on this immigrant population is vital in order for community colleges to meet their completion goals.
Presidents for New American Success agree to support the five underlying tenets and related action steps that are critical to the integration and success of New Americans on their campuses and in their communities.
- Executive-level commitment: College leaders will demonstrate their commitment by articulating a clear vision and strategy for supporting immigrant integration and success. This will be evidenced by the inclusion of the immigrant integration agenda in high level documents, such as strategic and operational plans, and allocation of resources to implement these strategies.
- Development of college teams dedicated to New American success: To translate ideas into action, the college will bring together campus teams to identify ways to improve processes to bridge non-credit and credit programs, increase workforce development opportunities, and enhance immigrant student success and completion.
- Data-driven strategies: The college will work toward collection of data on key variables that measure immigrant student progress in conjunction with student goals, and will use data to improve immigrant education programs and services.
- Meaningful, multi-sector partnerships: The college will develop diverse partnerships with various stakeholders including K-12 schools, four-‐year colleges, adult education systems, community- and faith-based organizations, employers, and workforce investment boards and leverage each other’s assets in mutually beneficial ways to advance immigrant student success.
- Emphasis on program replication and best practice sharing: With support from CCCIE, the college will commit to sharing promising practices and scaling up the best ESL academic and career pathway models at their own campuses and at other colleges. The college will create an enhanced public awareness of their commitment to New American success.
Add Your Name Now
By signing the Presidents for New American Success Pledge, you are joining CCCIE and other leading community colleges and immigrant-focused organizations committed to advancing immigrant student success and helping our economy thrive.
CCCIE is working to raise awareness of the important role community colleges play in immigrant education. By signing this pledge, you are also agreeing to allow CCCIE to post your name and your college’s name on CCCIE’s website and other outreach materials.